Accessibility & your CRO

Now whilst accessibility might not be at the forefront of your business meetings, I can guarantee your conversion rate is and you’re looking to optimise further. Here’s something to consider;

Cluster of people with 60% in blue and 40% highlighted in purple

 All conversion funnels are affected by a website’s usability AND accessibility.

If companies don’t pay serious attention to both the accessibility and usability of their website, they are not only going to damage their own reputation but they also run the risk of handing over even their most loyal customers to their competitors.


There are nearly as many websites as there are people on the planet so customers can afford to shop around.


In the book “Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability,” by Steve Krug, he says:


Usability really just means making sure that something works well: that a person of average (or even below average) ability and experience can use the thing – whether it’s a website, a fighter jet, or a revolving door – for its intended purpose without getting hopelessly frustrated.


Universal design means you will provide an easier path to purchase for all, not the 75% of your potential customers you’re aiming your site at whilst turning away the remaining 25%. 


You also need to consider not just the person with accessibility needs, but their feedback to other people. Their poor experience may mean you also lose their friends and family as customers too.


Over 50% of people have someone in their close network with a disability. If they have a poor customer experience it affects their opinion with that business too.


This brings the number of people who aren’t loyal to your brand to a staggering 40% population.


Purple Pound is the estimated spending power of disabled households (disabled people and their families) in the UK.  It is thought to be valued at £274 billion (and is expected to increase year on year).


As you can see, accessibility AND usability are absolutely crucial in increasing your exposure and conversion rates. The effort you put in now will be quickly reflected in your turnover figures giving you absolute bragging rights in your next sales meeting!.


So what  should you be considering? 


Yes, there are WCAG standards to follow but the bit where most businesses fail is to not invite and welcome feedback that is then actioned.  


The only way to truly optimise your conversion rate, is to always keep an eye on the experiences your visitors have with your brand every day. Take feedback and suggestions seriously!


But before you start gathering feedback, get the basics in place. The W3C break things down into the following main sections:

 

Perceivable 

Is your content presented in a way that people can perceive regardless of hearing, seeing etc? Remember, in SEO, bots read in the same way as screen readers. So by optimising for SEO, you are optimising  for screen reader audiences.

 

Operable

Make sure your navigation and components are operable to all. Is your website controllable by keyboard? Do you have flashes in video that could trigger epilepsy? 

 

Understandable 

Is the information and navigation understandable by all? Is it clear and predictable?

 

Robust 

Is your website robust enough to work with assisted technologies such as screen readers etc?


So you’ve got the basics in place, now welcome that feedback….


69% of people with access needs will simply ‘click away’ from a website with accessibility barriers.  AbilityNet say that ecommerce is losing out on £50 billion a year of the UK spending power due to poor accessibility. 


That’s potentially a huge boost to your conversion rate.


📈

If more people fill out your form, buy your product or read a white paper without resistance, this can increase the chance that more people will convert.

Blog written by Kaye

Written by Kaye

Back